Let’s face it all the recent studies that share that kids are spending too much time on their screens is true. I really went looking for some simple family friendly tips to encourage less screen time and came up with 5 tips I know my family can implement.
The weather hasn’t been allowing our girls to get outside and play like they generally do. Here are some tips I found extremely helpful:
- Exercise Every Day: Children really do need to get out and play for an hour a day. Lack of activity is aa link to obesity and it really has become a problem here in the U.S. We like to make exercise a family event and do it together. Take your kids to a playground or make up an obstacle course at home, even just going for a walk as a family. All of these things are totally free and a fun way to stay active together.
- Limit Screen Time: Screen time is a leading cause of depression and anxiety now in teens and so even with our teenager we have to limit the screen time. Children really should only be in front of a screen two hours a day at max, so limit your child’s screen time with an App.
- Let Your Kids Be Bored: Encourage alternative to cut out the screen time. Board games, reading, coloring, and my girls love to create their own dance routines. I encourage them to just be bored and to find something creative to do. I like to give them random craft supplies and tell them to create something – this is a family favorite!
- Make Meals Family Time: My nine year old especially loves this. She loves to cook and bake and I like to teach her heathy habits with cooking. It’s a great way to just slow down and connect with my children plus they love helping cook dinner!
- No Devices in Your Room: This is a simple rule that I came up with because of my teenager. It’s easy to lay around on devices so keeping all devices our of our kids bedrooms. No chargers either, it’s all off limits.
- Set An Example: Let’s be perfectly honest…… If you want your children to spend less time in front of a screen, you will also have to make changes.