This post is sponsored in partnership with Think About Your Eyes, a national public awareness campaign for vision health.
Living somewhere where the sun is always shining, we always have to be aware of our sun exposure. We live in Orange County, CA and are not far from the beach so it stays a little cooler here, but when that sun is out, it’s strong. Even today the weather is in the low 80s and that sun burns standing in it. While it may feel good, it is doing damage to skin, hair, eyes, and causes dehydration. Our girls have such fair skin so when we are outdoors we keep our skin and eyes protected.
I always feel like my girls are the most exposed when we are at the beach. I always try to keep sunglasses on my girls when they are playing in the sand and an umbrella with shade close by.
We love to spend time in our local mountains and again we always seem to find ourselves in the sun. Like most parents, we just want our kids to be happy and healthy. We always wear sunscreen in the sun but there are other precautions to also take this summer. Check out our 5 tips to protect and care for your kids’ eyes this summer!
5 Tips to Protect & Care For Kids Eyes this Summer
- Wear Eye Protection – Keep a pair of sunshades in your bag. It’s important to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays.
- Keep A Sun Hat On Hand – Hats are great for keeping the sun out of eyes and also off your face.
- Hand In The Shade – One of our favorite purchases for the beach has been a small half dome beach tent. It provides much needed shade and protection for our eyes.
- Control Screen Time – Screens are not good for kids as their eyes are growing. Limit screen exposure to an hour a day this summer.
- See An Eye Doctor – Seeing an eye doctor is an important step to making sure that your eyes are healthy. It’s important for all young children to get an annual comprehensive eye exam, so I was happy to hear that Think About Your Eyes, a national public awareness campaign for vision health, makes it easy for parents to coordinate an eye exam. You can find an eye doctor near you using Think About Your Eyes’ Doctor Locator tool. Check it out!
So this summer, no matter where your family adventures take you, Think About Your Eyes and your kiddos’ eyes. Learn more about eye protection at ThinkAboutYourEyes.com.