The following was produced with my friends at L.L.Bean, who believe that, on the inside, we’re all outsiders.
There are so many things to do outdoors as a family, and there are plenty of chances for our girls to learn and grow. We find places to hike that are easy enough for our kids to manage, and we always make up our own fun along the way.
This summer we’re really trying to spend more time connecting with our children. As our oldest has gotten older we’ve started to realize how fast it all goes by. We have so few summers with our children being little, so it’s all about creating meaningful moments with our daughters
5 Simple Activities Families Can Do Outdoors
- Get outside and take a hike. There are parks and trails all over this country so get outside and explore. Visit your local state parks website to find a trailhead near you.
- Make a simple craft. We love to pack crayons and paper for drawing and making leaf art. These are simple and fun ways for our kids to explore the forest and have a little fun. Your kiddos can also draw the things they see along the trail.
- Find a sand pit. Nature provides so many chances to learn and explore. We often find dried up streams in the summer and they provide the perfect sandbox for stopping to play. Also allow your kids to take off their shoes. We’ve found everything from streams to grassy fields along the trail.
- Play a word game. We love to play nature ABC’s. Each person takes turns finding something in the forest that correlates with a letter of the alphabet. You can also sing a song or play a simple math game. My husband always seems to find entertaining games to play that keep our girls busy.
- Play hide and seek! We only allow our girls to stay on the trail but they often run ahead and step behind a tree to try to surprise us. This allows us to explore the forest and have fun. My girls always love to play hide and seek and what better place to play than outside?
Of course whenever we are outdoors we want our girls to stay safe and be comfortable. What I like about L.L.Bean is that the clothing is meant for the outdoors. When we hike it’s always a safe bet to put my kiddos in long pants, especially during mosquito season. What I like about the denim from L.L.Bean is the reflective piece it has along the hem of their pants. If we’re walking to a trail head, or in a campground, I like that it’s an additional thing that helps to keep our family safe. We pack a backpack with everything we need to stay hydrated. We also pack healthy snacks, and we always carry basic first aid products in our first aid kit. L.L.Bean has stylish clothing for kids and the entire family. Our oldest even has a pair of boots that are not only perfect for the trail but also keep her feet dry when we come to a stream.
This summer it’s all about making meaningful moments happen with our girls. Whether it’s singing our favorite song on a trail or stopping to play in the sand of a dried up riverbed. There are adventures to have, and we want to spend more moments this summer making them happen! If you ask our girls about their favorite trips it’s not always about fancy hotels and swimming at the pool. Sometimes the best moments happen when you’re hot and tired and having an adventure.
You can find out more about the products seen in this post at L.L.Bean.com.