We started out hiking with our older girls as soon as we could get them to a trail. Living in Oregon then we had plenty of access to trails and there were many places to take out kids camping and hiking. When they were babies we had a hiking backpack and would backpack our little ones along the trails. I was afraid when we moved to California that our kids might miss out on those experiences. We’ve enjoyed finding new places and can’t wait to see what other places we will find and the hikes we will take as our kids continue to get older.
5 Reasons To Get Out And Hike With Your Kids
- See New Places – Hikes are a great way to get out and explore places you might not ordinarily find.
- It’s Good Exercise – It’s great for the whole family to get out and get moving. Hiking with our kids shows them that their parents can be active and being active together is just as fun.
- Learn Something New – Each hike our kids learn something new. We recently hiked a switchback and our kids had a lot of fun learning about how trails like the switchback are good for the mountains and for hikers.
- Lots To See – We always find new plants to see and animals, we enjoy spotting birds and getting a peak at how the life in the forest lives.
- Make Memories – Not only is hiking good for our bodies but it’s also a great way to make lasting memories with our kids. Device free memories hiking and exploring our local forest and mountain areas.
I’ll never forget our latest hike, our four year old did 4 miles to the top of Stonewall Peak. The peak sits along the rocks and there’s just a railing to hold on to. Our kids were so excited to get to the top and yet once there they were quite scared. They realized just how far they had climbed. It’s one of those trips that makes me look forward to our next hike together.