One of the easiest ways to feed a large family on a budget is to buy food that is in season. Usually you’ll find these items are on sale or better priced than produce that has to be brought in. One of the keys to feeding my family a healthy diet is to make sure they get plenty of organic fruits and vegetables but that can also rack up at the grocery store so buying organic foods in season is also important to keep costs down.
My secret to perfect mashed potatoes is using a mixer. Making your own mashed potatoes, yams, etc. is as easy as boiling water! Boil the water, throw in your chunks, strain and then blend in your stand mixer or use a hand mixer. Perfectly smooth potatoes without all the waste!
Whipped Sweet Yams
- 4 medium sized organic yams (peeled and sliced)
- 1/4 cup organic sweet cream butter
- 1/2 cup raw brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans
- Nutmeg for garnish
- Boil your yams until soft and tender.
- Toss in your stand mixer bowl, or bowl for hand mixer.
- Add your brown sugar and butter.
- Blend on medium until smooth.
- Add pecans and a light sprinkle of Nutmeg and serve warm!