I received a Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Jam and Jelly Maker to review and have really been wanting to put it to the test. Living in the pacific northwest we have plenty of fall fruits and vegetables in season so I wanted to put my pears to the test. In the fall we also have an abundance of apples and can see myself using the Ball® FreshTECH for many things come fall baking season.
The Ball® FreshTECH is incredibly easy to use and great homemade jam is easy to create with the Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker. Just add the fresh ingredients and it does the rest in under 30 minutes. It is the perfect tool for both new and experienced canners, and a great way to incorporate fresh ingredients for healthier eating. The pot has a nonstick interior, making for easy clean up between batches. The pot, glass lid and stirring paddle are dishwasher safe. Creating your own great tasting jam has never been easier!
Jam Maker Pear Jam from Ball®
2 2/3 cups crushed pears (about 2 lbs or six medium)
3 Tbsp Ball® RealFruit® Classic Pectin
2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
1/2 tsp butter or margarine
3 1/3 cups granulated sugar
If desired add:
1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp ground clove
- WASH, peel and core pears. Coarsely chop pears, and then crush with a potato masher. Measure required quantity of crushed pears and remaining ingredients for your recipe; set aside.
- SPRINKLE pectin evenly over bottom of the Pot fitted with the Stirrer. Add crushed pears evenly over pectin. Pour lemon juice over pears. Add butter/margarine to help reduce foaming.
- PRESS jam button – the cook time will automatically default to 21 minutes. Press enter.
- WAIT 4 minutes for appliance to sound 4 short beeps indicating that it is time to add sugar. Add sugar gradually while Stirrer continues running. Place the Glass Lid on the Pot.
- THE APPLIANCE will continue to automatically stir your ingredients while it cooks. Stay within earshot of the Jam & Jelly Maker, the appliance will beep again at the end of the process signaling jam cooking is complete. Press cancel, unplug the appliance and immediately remove Glass Lid.
- REMOVE Stirrer using a pot holder. Skim foam, if necessary, from top of jam.
- PRESERVE jam immediately, using 1 of the 3 ways listed here.
In our family we like our jam to be a little chunky so you get nice bites of fruit with our breakfast toast or when served on hot biscuits. You can easily adjust the cooking time of your recipe if you have a slightly firmer fruit like a pear. I used some vintage blue heritage collection Ball®jars and I really enjoy the contrast of color in my kitchen. Bright and cheerful and in the end the jam turned out incredibly well. I can easily see myself making fresh applesauce or even an apple jelly this fall.
Check out the Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Jam and Jelly Maker, for easy jam and jelly in just 30 minutes! You can find a location near you to purchase one.