Being shoppers of Whole Foods Market I have to say we have some very healthy snacks and I know the quality will always be far superior. Eating organic foods are important to my family so I am very excited that Whole Foods has a new partner with PBS Kids.
PBS KIDS and Whole Foods Markets launched the Fantastic Organic campaign aimed at providing educational tools and resources to help families learn to cook, shop and explore healthy foods together!
Some tips from PBS KIDS on choosing healthy snacks for kids:
Choosing and Buying Healthy Snacks
- Stock the fridge and pantry with healthy snacks, such as fruits and vegetables and ingredients for the recipes below.
- Before you go shopping, tell your children what behavior you expect and what, if any, snack they can expect.
- Take snacks with you when you go to appointments or run errands.
- Provide snacks that are easy to eat.
- Use snacks to provide the food groups your children are missing during meals.
- Make snacks small, then give seconds if the child asks for more.
- Decide what snacks you will allow, and when. Explain the rules to your child and stick to them.
Healthy Snack Ideas:
- Crunchy vegetable sticks (carrots, celery) with low-fat ranch dip (for older preschoolers)
- Nearly frozen applesauce
- Melon Melody: Watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew with non-fat whipped cream
- Ants on a Log: Peanut butter on celery with raisins
- Mud & Dirt: Low-fat pudding with crushed graham crackers mixed in
- Peanut butter on half of a whole-wheat bagel
- Whole-wheat crackers or whole-wheat tortilla with salsa
- Hummus and pita wedges
- Lightâ microwave popcorn with grated parmesan cheese (for children three years and older)
- Mini-pizzas: Half an English muffin covered with a tablespoon of tomato sauce, then topped with part-skim mozzarella cheese
Online, families can explore organics at PBSPARENTS.org/fantasticorganic. The website features recipes and tips for simple and healthy organic meals and snacks, shopping tips, videos and interactive activities for kids that help parents encourage healthy eating.