I have a long standing love for great cupcakes. When we travel I always have to scope out the best cupcake shop in town and that love has also inspired me to creating my own. Now I’m not that great of a baker, I’ll admit but I do enjoy making things that are unique and fun. I’ve show off my cupcake creations before and this latest one is perfect for spring. Pair it with your Easter meal or even make during the summer. The lemon is bright and fun!
|Lemon Buttercream Cupcakes||
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- lemon zest from two lemons
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk together the milk and egg whites in a medium bowl.
- Put the sugar and lemon zest in a mixer bowl or another large bowl and rub them together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the butter and, working with the paddle or whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat at medium speed for a full 3 minutes, until the butter and sugar are very light. Beat in the extracts, then add one third of the flour mixture, still beating on medium speed. Beat in half of the milk-egg mixture, then beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated. Add the rest of the milk and eggs, beating until the batter is homogeneous, then add the last of the dry ingredients. Finally, give the batter a good 2-minute beating to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed and well aerated. Place the batter into the cupcake tins.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes.
The buttercream frosting recipe is from Food Family Finds – I didn’t use the vanilla like in her recipe and I created a cute topping with lemon zest and sugar.