What I hear the most when it comes to red velvet cake is that everyone wishes there were natural coloring options. There is, a little extra work goes a long way and I promise you’ll love these cupcakes just as much as anything else! On Valentine’s Day we don’t usually go out but I always want to make some sweet treats and a good dinner for my family. What’s better than a day of showing the ones you love the most just how much you love them and I often do that with food.
|Organic Red Velvet Cupcakes (With Natural Beet Coloring)||
- 6 organic beets, boiled for 40 minutes, and then cooled, peeled, and chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup organic applesauce
- 1/2 cup organic butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups organic sugar
- 2 eggs, preferably organic and free-range
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- 1 Tb. vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 cup organic plain yogurt
- 2 Tb. organic cocoa powder or organic raw chocolate powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups organic spelt flour or all purpose flour or cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. Himalayan or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Combine chopped cooked beets and applesauce in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl in an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla, and then add the beet mixture, mixing well. Add the vinegar and the yogurt and mix well again.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa or chocolate powder, baking soda, flour, and salt together. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Frosting: Use your favorite cream cheese frosting. I used both organic powdered sugar, butter and cream cheese.