Every year my best friend Sandra makes my husband her famous pumpkin roll. A sweet pumpkin cake, perfectly rolled up around cream cheese frosting. It’s the highlight of our trip to California every year. This year we’re staying at home in Oregon and having Christmas here so I decided that I also had to figure out how to make my own pumpkin roll. It’s not quite Christmas without it at this point, and it probably wouldn’t last if Sandra mailed me one. That said here’s my own version.
Super delicious Moist Pumpkin Roll With Sweet Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup LIBBY’SÂ® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.
- BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool in fridge.
- BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Rolling the cake: Honestly I was worried about the whole rolling up the cake thing so I decided to use a slightly thicker towel. A bath towel had a little extra thickness which I wanted because I really wanted the frosting to be perfect inside. I thought the thicker towel would keep the roll further apart. It turned out that it worked.I evenly spread my slightly sweetened powdered sugar filling inside and rolled it up and put it back in the fridge in plastic wrap. Make sure the cake it all the way at the top of the towel but allow the towel to slightly go over the cake as you roll.
Sandra’s tip: put some powdered sugar or flour on the towel before you put the cake on so the cake doesn’t stick to the towel.
I slightly modified Libby’s Pumpkin Roll Recipe to my liking. I also did the cream cheese inside to my liking.