There Is This Girl….

There is this girl. I met her in 1st grade. See every week I would go in to read with the children in my daughters first grade class. That’s when I first met her and quickly she and Kaila became quick friends. There’s something special about this little girl though.

She tells me things like “My dad is going to buy me …..” or “when I see my dad he says he’s going to …..”.

I remember being that little girl.

I still idolize my father because inside he was a good man. He made bad choices. Again I can relate to that. But when he kept his promises those were such sweet times.In fact those moments seem to block out all the bad.

See the little girl who stole a piece of my heart lives with her Grandparents. They lovingly take care of her and her 3 siblings while her parents make bad choices. She’s hopeful that one day they’ll all be together she tells me. He’ll buy her nice things. Her mom will finally come and she’ll have a proper family.

My heart has a place for this little girl because my heart wants nothing more than for her to feel normal. To feel like her friends. Inside, deep deep inside you will always find that tiny piece of the little girl who daydreamed inside of me.

As I sat and painted their toenails they were giggly  and as she told me “one day he said he’d paint my nails”. I couldn’t help but say “I hope it’s very soon”.

There is this little girl who reminds me – of me.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider liking us on Facebook or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

Comments

1. smashbravo says

That’s how my grandchildren live right now. Their dad is in jail and all they talk about is one day. Thank god for grandparents and aunts who help put when this happens and they can at least be with family. Hopefully one day this dream comes true for that little girl and my grand kids too.

2. Mrs. Cox says

Hopefully she will have that soon. Either way she is surrounded by family that loves her. Just like you.

3. Shannon R says

I hope one day very soon too for this special little girl. Thank you for sharing this special story.

4. Heather Kelly says

I have been there. I have done a lot of babysitting in the past. Watching children of parents who were divorced or separated was hard. The children were always dreaming of when their mom or dad would come home and they would be a family again. I grew up with my parents always threatening to leave one another. They would fight, and either my mom would leave for a few hours or a few days, or she would threaten to leave my father. It was a super scary way to grow up. I don’t even know if my sisters remember any of that or not? But I always feared that the life that I knew with my parents and sisters could be ripped away at any moment. I learned when I was younger not to be so serious about anything, my grades, church, choir, etc. So I didn’t do anything in school but go through the motions and not get involved in anything, and now, I wish that I would have.

5. ShaRhonda says

Oh Kristin, my heart aches for this little girl, but at the same time smiles, because she has people around her that “get it”! Great post my friend.

6. LaVonne says

I am glad she has family who are willing and capable of taking care of her when she needs it. I see that a lot here where we live on the reservation. Many grandparents and aunties have to take the kids. It is sad. I am heading to the other post you linked to next.

Blessings, my online friend!

7. Amy Kemp says

Kristin, I’ve been there..as that little girl. Not with both parents, but my dad. I feel for her and I hope that one day soon she does get her wish.