Preparing My 3 Year Old For The New Baby

In just a few days we will have another child to love. Another child to give our hearts to, and another sibling for our two daughters. Being that Brooklin is about to turn 3 years old she hasn’t quite been able to grasp the fact that there is indeed a baby in my belly. She can’t quite get the fact that there is one in there and no matter how many times I tell her she doesn’t quite understand.

She does like to kiss my belly and pat my belly. I was trying to talk to her about the hospital during tubby time the other night but all she said was “there will be cake and Popsicles at the hospital”.  I’m not sure she quite understands but I hope she’ll be okay with the entire situation there.

She does know a few things. There is a crib for the baby, and diapers, and clothes, and toys that she can’t play with. She knows those things so that leads me to believe she does know a baby is coming. She may not understand that it is mommys and daddys baby and that she’s going to stay with us forever but she knows.

It’s been hard thinking that Brooklin is not my only baby anymore. Kaila and Brooklin have adjusted well to having one another around but Brooklin being the youngest gets a lot more of us. Her and I are best friends, she’s my little me. It’s hard to think that soon her life will change. I know we’ll adjust after some time but it’s hard to think that she’s now going to be my middle child.

In just a few days my Brooklin will become a big sister. My heart is so happy yet it breaks at the same time.

How did you prepare your children for a new baby?

If you enjoyed this post, please consider liking us on Facebook or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

Comments

1. Amber says

This is really reminiscent of my two girls. My oldest, Autumn (3) was very loving towards me and our pregnancy, but now that April(4 months) is here she realizes the sister aspect. Autumn has a lot pent up aggression because she has to share our attention from being the only child. not quite sure how to deal with her jealousy but I can see that they each love one another. I’m still frazzled and puzzled on how to get Autumn out of her head and just enjoy everything! So I guess to answer your question on how we prepared, we tried reading baby sister books, having just Autumn and daddy time, getting everything babyized, and making sure she has her own space even now. i’m sure this didnt help too much but i look forward to seeing how 3 kids get along together!

2. shelly peterson says

I know exactly how u feel, I went through those same feelings with mine,many years ago.. Luckily when the new ones arrived The transition always went smoothly. There will always be a lil bit of jealousy but with the excitement of a new baby in the home they get over it pretty quick, especially if you keep them involved with helping with the baby as much as they can at theirr young age

3. Becca @ Mama B says

I’m nervous about how Lucas (2yrs) will react. He loves kissing the baby and if I ask where the baby is he’ll point to my belly but he is SUCH a mamas boy that I’m worried. I have no worries with Adam. He was 2.5 when Lucas was born and was completely in love and well adjusted right from the get go. He is incredibly excited about his baby sister coming and always tells me how he can’t wait. I am hoping that Lucas surprised us and adjusts well, but only time will tell!

4. Sandy VanHoey says

You’re right, it is difficult with little ones when you are about to introduce a new baby to the home. She will be so excited however when the time comes and she gets to see her new baby sister. I know you called her your “mini me” and you certainly have that right. I look at the pictures you post and she looks SO much like you. Unreal! I can’t wait for you to deliver and post pictures of your new baby and the family together. It’s so exciting. I don’t know you but sometimes when we read so much about a person, you feel like you do and share in the excitement. Kind of like an extended family I guess.

5. Amy Lopez says

When we had our 3rd, my 7 year old could totally understand and knew the routine, but my almost 3 year old had no idea besides what we would tell her, hoping she just “got it” :) It was easy for us to plan the change for her because we had a planned c-section with our 3rd. So what we did was, the night before the big day, while I was tucking her in, I asked her. “Emree, are you ready to meet your baby brother? Do you want me to tell the Dr to take him out of my belly?” She instantly said “YES!” of course, so I told her I would go to the Dr tomorrow morning and tell him to take him out.

I think it was so easy for her to understand it from there on out, but it was an easy way to break it to an almost 3 year old :)

Congrats to your growing family, tell Del I said HI! I still read your blog everyday and still love it!

Amy Lopez
    (Del’s old co-worker)

6. Eileen says

When I had my second, my first was only 19 months so I didnt really get a chance to worry about preparing…it just was what it was. BUT, 5 years later when I had my 3rd I was so sure things would have no real impact on my son, I didn’t do overly much to prepare him. I remember reading about some sibling rivalry article and how kids can act out by doing some pretty strange things…like regressing back to wetting, and doing off the wall things like peeling wall paper and throwing things, becoming clingy and whiny.
    No sooner was my baby girl home than I turned my back and OMgoodness, my son was actually PEELING WALLPAPER FROM the living room wall AND when I asked the older kids to go outside to play, he started throwing rocks at our windows! I thought i was on some secret camera show! This was NOT like him at all, usually SO sweet and loving, he was fitful and sad. I had to remember that at 5 he was a big boy, but still ONLY 5. I made sure he was involved in whatever he WANTED to do with the baby such as helping to give her a nuk or help stroll her, but didn’t push at all. He really just needed some time alone with me to know he was still my baby too! One thing I did was to talk to others about what he was going through, so when they came to visit they did not go right to the baby to adore her, but spent some time talking up my son and saying how great a BIG brother he would be. That probably helped the most of everything. It also helped that the baby was born in the summer so there was a lot of fun things to do that kept his mind off the new addition.
    With later babies, we really didnt have any problems. Most of my kids were about 5 years apart and understood, or they were so close they were way too young to understand and there was not much you could do to prepare. One thing to remember is that each child is different…feelings, fears, maybe some jealousy. So you have to follow their lead. Good advice out there and lots of articles and information from authorities on the subject, but you really don’t know what to expect until your older kids live it. You just find a way to make it OK and before you know it’s all just the norm and your “middle” child won’t remember what it was like before the baby, and most just adore that little baby. I am sure your biggest problem will be in finding a way to have the kids NOT loving on her 24/7 and actually let her sleep. They are gonna LOVE her so much!!!

7. courtney b says

aww so sweet. i just remembered your having your baby either today or yesterday? Im hoping all goes well!:) can’t wait to meet your little baby!

8. christine jessamine says

you have the perfect helper. i love the 3 year old age, it may take a while for her to warm up after having a new baby in her life, but she will make a perfect big sister. congratulations

9. Cassie says

Since I am pregnant with my first, I will have to let you know how that all works our for me years down the road ;-) but it is something that I worry about. My best friend is going through this right now, she has a 2 year old and is due in july with her second. She’s been teaching her child to “share” with the baby belly and they already “play” well together, she practices feeding him and shows him her toys… with some help from Mom to help play the role. I hope it’s a smooth transition for you!