Finally after months of anticipation the new Gordon Ramsay line has finally hit shelves at Kmart. I went shopping today so view more of my trip on Intersect. In conjunction with the kickoff this Sunday, they’re also offering 25% off any one bedding, bath, window, rug or housewares item at Kmart.com with coupon code HOME25P, valid until 10/8. Thereâ€™s a printable version on their new website www.kmart.com/home and it will also be in this Sundayâ€™s weekly ad. I found plenty of items on sale at my local store and purchased quite a few!
BUTTERMILK PANCAKES WITH BLUEBERRY APPLE COMPOTE
For the buttermilk pancakes:
2 cups All- Purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
Pinch of fine sea salt
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
3 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten, room temperature
2 large egg whites
Pinch cream of tartar
Butter or Canola oil, for frying
For the blueberry apple compote:
3 medium apples, peeled, quartered and cored, use a mix of sweet and tart, 2 fuji and 1 granny smith
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Â½ tsp cinnamon
1 lemon, zested
1 cup of blueberries
Â¼ cup water
For the apple blueberry compote, cut the apple quarters into small dice.Â Heat the butter and sugar in a heavy-based pan over low heat.
Once the sugar has melted, cook until starting to caramelize. Add the apples, blueberries, cinnamon, lemon zest and vanilla.Â Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, add water and cover with a lid.
Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the apples have become very tender. Hold to the side while you make pancakes.
To make the pancakes, sieve and whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk eggs one at a time into the well of the dry ingredients, alternately adding the buttermilk mixture.
Gradually incorporate the flour, whisking from the middle and working outwards until you have a thick, smooth paste while continuing to add the buttermilk mixture until you have a smooth batter with no lumps.
In an extremely clean bowl, free of fat, whisk the egg whites to medium-stiff peaks with the cream of tartar in a clean bowl, then fold into the batter.
Heat aflat griddle pan or sautÃ© pan with either butter or oil, just about a teaspoon or two per batch. Grease the griddle evenly using either a paper towel or brush.
Using a small ladle or Â¼ cup measure, pour batter onto the pan and fry for 2 minutes until golden brown underneath. Flip it over and cook for 45-60 seconds on the other side. Continue with the rest of the batter, frying in batches of 2-3. Keep the pancakes warm in a low oven.Â Serve with the compote on top and whipped cream if desired.
Throughout this recipe I used the Gordon Ramsay collection to help me along my way, from small accessories to the knife and cutting board to even the flat griddle.
The Gordon Ramsay Collection Includes:
- 12 cup programmable coffeemaker: The most used kitchen appliance, for just $29.99.
- 10 speed handmixer: Like all items in the collection, this features a soft grip handle that makes easy work of the toughest tasks. Includes a storage box to hold the beaters, dough hooks, and whisk. $24.99
- 12 speed blender: Start your day by blending up the perfect smoothie and taking with you in the included thermal travel mug. $29.99
- Extra large food chopper: Huge capacity and durable glass jar. Hello glass!!!$29.99
- 3 Liter Deep Fryer: All stainless steel housing keeps it clean. All with adjustable temperature control. $39.99
- Panini and Cuban Sandwich Maker: Adjustable temperature control, nonstick coating for convenient cleaning and detachable drip tray to make cleaning a breeze. $29.99
- 2 slice toaster: Extra wide slots with six toast settings to make the perfect toast! $24.99
- 5 quart programmable slow cooker: Dishwasher safe removable stoneware pot and 12 hour digital countdown timer. (See recipes on flash drive for the perfect meal that uses this slow cooker!) $29.99
For more connect Kmart on Twitter and Facebook.
Check out the new line in stores and don’t forget in conjunction with the kickoff this Sunday, they’re also offering 25% off any one bedding, bath, window, rug or housewares item at Kmart.com with coupon code HOME25P, valid until 10/8. Thereâ€™s a printable version on our new website www.kmart.com/home and it will also be in this Sundayâ€™s weekly ad.
As for the recipe, it was delicious. I’ve never had pancakes quite like them. The recipe did take some reading over and some extra preparation but was well worth the extra time. It’s complex but rewarding so thanks Gordon a great recipe for the everyday chef like me!
If you attended the Cheap Sally party like I did in the swag you left with were flash drives with some great recipes from Gordon Ramsay. Check them out, this Buttermilk Pancake recipe is one of those.
I wrote this post as a Kmart Ambassador through Collective Bias but all love for Gordon Ramsay and Kmart is real. This line rocks, so all opinions are always my own!